Sunday, June 7, 2009

Too Many Good Things

.




Things are crazy around here. It's hard to do it all. We just moved in to our new place. Thank you to everyone who helped. Heidi and Cordell were supposed to come down for a fun visit but ended up helping us move the whole time-thank you! You are life savors.

Change is always hard. I felt overwhelmed this week trying to be a good mom, keep a clean house, work on projects, throw a baby shower, be a good wife, move, etc. I wish I could lay on the floor for hours and talk to Annie and have her blow bubbles and "talk" to me. Study her little features, sing to her, kiss her chubby cheeks, and put lotion on her little rolls (and under her neck because she barfs all the time). The other day I was crying and praying to get through the day and be a patient and good mom. After the prayer, the three of us got lost (I was going for a 30 min. run with the kids in the stroller) and we were gone for 2 hours. Maybe that was the answer to the prayer-to get out and enjoy the beautiful day. I told the kids some stories in their stroller. Carleton and I had a good talk and he said there are too many good things. I feel like I stretch myself thin sometimes. Carleton said he doesn't care if dinner is ready and the house is clean (even though he likes it) but the most important thing is that I spend time raising the kids because that will have the greatest impact. My favorite days are the ones I play and am really with the kids instead of trying to keep them busy while I clean or try to get things done. Time is passing too fast. I see Annie growing before my eyes. Apollo has a little potty in the bathroom and a big boy bed. Crazy. It will be nice when we get the house completely organized and get back into a routine again.

Well, it's been a couple of weeks since I blogged so here's a bunch of pics:

Apollo's doing DDR. If you need any hot tips on how to do it, call Carol.



Like brother. Like sister.



We went up in the Irvine Great Park balloon with Cordell and Heidi.



Here's Apollo in his big boy bed for the first time. Three hours later after being put back in a million times, he went to sleep...and got up early. Now, he gets one chance and back into his playpen he goes (he looks like a giant in it). He's near the hundredth percentile for weight and height.



We took Apollo to ride a train at the Irvine Spectrum. Two of the workers asked if Cordell or I was going with him and we said no. I thought the train would go in circles. But no, it took off and I got a little worried. Apollo likes to climb and I hoped he wouldn't fall out. I went after him with Annie on the front pack and found him having a great ol' time - he was not happy to get out when the ride was over.



Annie's taking over Apollo's toys.




I had both kids on my lap and took some pics of them. Apollo kept swinging over and kissing Annie. She was smiling so big.



Here's one hot mama. I had so much fun being at Lacey's shower. I'm excited for her little girl to come.


Here's Annie getting her back rubbed. She and Apollo loved their feet rubbed too.

9 comments:

James, Cameo, Jacob, and Eli said...

I know how you feel - there is just too much to get done each day. I find that the days when I am most frustrated at Jacob are days that he gets ignored because I am trying to clean/organize/etc, and he wants attention. I realize more and more as Jacob gets older that I have to sacrifice more and more time for him. I used to be able to get so much more done with him being content to play by himself, but not so much anymore! Anyway, I know you're a great mom!! And your kids are adorable - I can't wait to meet Annie in person!!

Lacey said...

Thank you so much for throwing my shower! You're amazing! I know it had to have been the craziest time ever to do that!

Ali said...

I agree with Carlton--don't stretch yourself too thin! It's pretty easy to do, though. I think it's especially hard for those of us with the "get it done" personality. I LOVE having a list and checking things off and being able to see what I have accomplished in a day... and playing with your kids or being a good mother are not things you can check off, so it's hard. You are doing a great job, I am sure!

We really should get together. I have about 2 weeks until my c-section, so let's plan it! Email me or something... we'll work it out. aliseaman79@gmail.com

Tukuafu's said...

You are an amazing MOM! I feel the weight too.. I heard the other day a quote "the kids won't remember how clean your house was- they'll remember the times you had together".. I have to remind myself of that everyday!!

Ali said...

So I was expecting you to say that your move put you in a new ward if it had, and I didn't hear that...but haven't seen you...so it must have?! I'm a little confused/sad. Anyway, I hope things get easier. I can't imagine moving at such a crazy time- you are SUPER MOM. :) I struggle with those same thoughts- I just want to coo at him all day and I feel neglectful when I set him down and iron or do other things- but it's healthy for them, too.

Tara said...

My heart goes out to you! I completely understand what you are saying! I love this post because I have been there before, too. I think one of the hardest things about motherhood is finding that balance. You are amazing and a wonderful mother! You did the right thing- just keep on praying!

Jacqui said...

Balance is so hard, isn't it?! I think all moms struggle with it. I've got to say, though, that when I feel totally overwhelmed EVERYTHING gets put on hold. Dinner is simple--eggs and toast with broccoli steamed in the microwave...and served on paper plates. The laundry sits unfolded, the floors unvacuumed. Jeff loads the dishes. Carlton would, too.

Instead of all that keeping house junk, I wrestle with the kids, go outside and dig in the dirt, have a picnic on the lawn, go to the park, read stories, smile, laugh, love. Or I take a moment for myself during naptime and catch a quick snooze or read. Our "work" is not just keeping a clean house, looking perfect and having a hot meal on the table the minute hub walks in the door. I'm an advocate of all those things, but keeping a pristine house isn't a priority when you have two little ones under three--especially a new baby! It takes me a good 18 months to feel like I am able to balance life again after giving birth. The sleep deprivation alone is life altering. Take a nap and don't be too hard on yourself.

You are right, the moments are fleeting and over so quickly. Before you know it they'll be almost 10, wearing a training bra and sassing the heck out of you! (Annie, that is.) ;)

Also, I like to throw dinner in a crockpot in the morning and fuggetaboutit. Let the house be a mess all day, then do a 10-minute pick-up right before hubby gets home, throw on some mascara and relax. It will make both of you feel better.

I think you're awesome. This mothering stuff is hard work.

Rachael said...

Annie is so beautiful!! Isn't it amazing how you can just look at them and coo for hours and still cannot comprehend that they are yours and you were part of the process of creating them. Boggles my mind.

Dont get down on yourself with the move. Cut yourself some slack and take time for just you (and the kids). And Greg tells me Carlton is the type of guy who would always be willing to help :)

Post new pictures of your home soon!

Todd and Emily said...

Robyn, your shining in motherhood! You look so happy and your babies are beautiful. I echo all the feelings of frustration when you want to set up house and your have kids that want your time. We just moved here to Michigan and I am dealing with the same thing. It's funny, reading your blog I can hear your voice in my head....as if we are still on bunkbeds talking late in the night. I'll have to come to your blog more. I am not so good at mine...better at facebook. Love ya!