Sunday, November 8, 2009

Joshua Tree

We had a fun weekend with friends climbing and camping at Joshua Tree. We also lost our camera (with the library books, Leap Frog game, toys, ipod earpiece) back pack. Carleton and I talked after we got home about how, yes, it takes a little longer to do things with kids and , yes, we would have liked more sleep that night, but we really had a fun time being together as a family. Carleton said it made him happy to hear Apollo screaming with joy when he pushed him on the ropes. For me, climbing is a great rush. I am afraid of heights and after each climb I feel that I have accomplished something challenging. We will have some great memories of this trip. We were also glad to come home and get a good night's sleep. We were all cuddled on the same air mattress to keep warm. Before, the kids have done great camping, but have had their own space.

Here is a picture I googled of a random person climbing in Joshua Tree. I want my camera back, sniff sniff.

Here is another pic I googled that shows what the trees looked like.

I have noticed a lot how Apollo does what we do in little and big ways. I leave my toothbrush on the sink like this to "let it dry" because I don't want to get the toothbrush holder messy-my own little quirk that I really didn't think too much about. I saw Apollo put his toothbrush down just like mine even though there is a place for his toothbrush and he doesn't know why he puts it there. He has started patting my back like I do to him. He always copies what we say. I used to color "with" him when he was tiny-basically I would color while he would run around. Now he loves to color. He was too tiny to really like books, but we would still read to him. It's fun to see how much he loves stories now. It's really made me think lately of what we teach him whether we realize it or not (or whether it's a good thing or not).


He sees if I laugh.
He sees when I don't.

He sees if I watch TV.
He sees how I use my time.

He sees if I set and reach goals.
He sees if I don't.

He sees if I help others.
He notices if I don't.

He sees if I read and enjoy learning.
He sees if I don't.

He sees if I clean.
He sees if I don't.

He sees how I react when I'm frustrated.
He hears the words I say.

He sees if I exercise.
He sees if I don't.

He knows what things are important.
He sees and watches every day.

He sees when I am proud of him.
He can tell when I'm not.

I have two little ones that are watching. I teach them every day, by how I live my life, by the words I use, by how happy I am, by the marriage I have, how they should be. I am amazed by the power of motherhood. I can see how my bad or good mood can almost instantly affect Apollo and Annie because they seem to take on the same mood. When I'm frustrated and feel like I have a lot on my plate, Apollo is not as happy. When I am happy and excited to be with them, Apollo and Annie light up and have fun too. I felt like I was influencing a lot of kids when I taught high school. But I feel that being a mom is an even greater responsibility. Even though I looooved teaching high school, and being a mom is harder, I am happier and and enjoy being a mom more. I feel very honored to take on this new role in my life.

I believe the choice to become a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is. To create an environment that's stimulating and nurturing, to pass on a sense of relponsibility to another human being, to raise a child who understands that he or she is created from good and is capable of anything-I know for sure that few callings are more honorable. To play down mothering as small is to crack the very foundation on which greatness stands. The world can only value mothering to the extent that women everywhere stand and declare that it must be so. In our hands we hold the power to transform the perception of motherhood...We should no longer allow a mother to be defined as "just a mom." It is on her back that great nations are built. -Oprah Winfrey

7 comments:

Ali said...

That is a super cute toothbrush story Robyn. You are an excellent Mother and example not only to your kiddos but to me too :) I love your attitude.

Anjanette said...

Great Oprah quote.

You're such a good mommy.

Jacqui said...

To play down mothering as small is to crack the very foundation on which greatness stands.

Awesomeness. There is no price for awesomeness (or attractiveness...name that movie!).

Great story, great thoughts. So true.

Jen said...

I cut part of your post out and put it on my fridge. I want to remember that more often (how much they notice). It is crazy when you here some of yourself in your child...and hopefully we are happy with what we hear and see! You are one great mom. I miss having you around. Thank goodness for blogs!

Tara said...

Awesome post! You are so right about how closely they are watching- thanks for the reminder.

Marlon and Suzana said...

Amen to that! I loved all of it! I totally needed to be reminded of those things. You should read "I Am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. I have a copy you could borrow, you would love it.

Shaina said...

I have the same exact toothbrush as you!!! You are such a good, loving mommy. No wonder Apollo copies you!