Sunday, November 15, 2009

Potty Training + Sick Kids = Good Times

Monday-Apollo is running to the bathroom saying "hurry Mommy!" all the time because he wants that piece of candy (whether he has to go potty or not). Every hour on the hour I sat with him, reading, singing-for 4 minutes (I timed it so I wasn't in their longer than necessary). He pulled down his undies (this is a giant process for a 24 month old) and afterward would take his tiny potty apart to dump his pee into the big toilet and then put it back together. Then, he would flush and pull up his undies. At last, he would wash his hands and dry them on the towel. Sometimes we would hurriedly rush several times with no luck, each time saying "maybe next time", all to have him pee on the floor or chair or sidewalk (I did venture outside to attempt to do laundry) right after. This has been my life this week. I now feel I deserve some award for what I feel is a great accomplishment. A week on a deserted island sounds great. Apollo is doing awesome and I am proud of our potty trained little man. Just as we worked out the whole pottying thing, they got sick. Apollo has had a fever and Annie has a cough. I was glad to have some friend get-togethers this week and have something to look forward to.

One of the highlights this week was going for a long run by myself. I didn't worry about pace, just enjoyed Freakonomics-ever read it? We download books from our library onto cds for our road trips and have just started to download them onto the ipod. It passes the time even faster than listening to music.



.
Such an interesting book. Is the crime rate going down because abortion was legalized and the future murderers were never born? This guy won a Nobel prize and studies numbers to come up with the answers. He says that all of us have incentives for what we do whether we cheat or are honest. I thought about raising kids and how they react to what we reward them with. If a kid is screaming in the grocery store for candy and the mom frustratedly gives in, the child learns that screaming gets her what she wants and does it again. If a child screams when she's going down for a nap and is held, why wouldn't she keep it up if she is rewarded. I thought of how I need to reward my kids for being good. Pick Annie up an play with her when she is being good and give her a moment when she whines. We had friends over on Wed. and each would announce "I went potty" when they came out and everyone we cheer (along with Apollo). Everyone would cheer when he would come out after going potty. That was the 3rd day into training and he had no accidents during that time and has done great since. I really want to think about rewarding good behavior and telling them when they're being good kids.

We ordered a new camera. I always think-oh this would be a great pic.

6 comments:

The Ericksons said...

We potty trained too this week. It went amazing. We even went on a vacation this weekend and have not had a single accident since day one! I am amazed. Sounds like Apolo was not too bad either. It is really exhuasting though reminding them all the time and then sitting there with them! Good job!

Jodi said...

Way to go Apollo (and Robyn).

Jody said...

Apollo's a champ...that's great for him to be potty trained at two years old, especially for a boy! We just got over a week of sickness...coast to coast germs!

Ali said...

I have never heard of a two year old BOY being potty trained until now! Kudos to you (and Apollo)!! That is incredible!

Jacqui said...

Good for Mr. Apollo--and you for sticking with it! I love that you'd like a week on a deserted island as a vacation. I am SO with you on that one. All by myself, with a load of books, fresh fruit, chocolate and pina coladas. PERFECT!

I've heard Freakanomoics (sp?) is good. I agree about rewarding good behavior over bad, although I am totally not against giving a sucker to a child who is freaking out and making life miserable for everyone around him. Eventually they do grow out of it, and it drives me NUTS when a parent allows their kids to go berserk in a store because they don't want to reward their bad behavior. Either take them out, or shove sugar down their throats--that's my take on it! :)

Great update. Makes me think I need to get going on Miss Babe's potty training. She wants to, I am just a little burned out by the fourth round! You are inspiring!

Sara G said...

I miss you! You are AWESOME, so of course Apollo would be an awesome little man, too! Way to go little guy!