Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Crash(es)

We went rollerblading yesterday and had quite the scare. Carleton took the kids in the stroller on top of a hill. I had gone down (not much of a thrill seeker on my blades) to the bottom to watch them come down. Carleton told me later he didn't go to the top until Apollo had asked to go all the way. I watched them all roll down the hill together until the stroller took a sharp turn tipping over-it went down the side of a hill but luckily was stopped by a bush (a prickly one). Carleton stopped as fast as he could then went back up the hill. It was a horrible thing to watch from the bottom and it took a minute for me to get to them and I was hoping to hear 2 cries and was thankful when I did. Carleton said later that it was the worst day of his life feeling in that moment like he had just killed his kids (surprising to hear from Carleton because he's always super chill and positive). Luckily they just had some scrapes-some pretty good ones. Carleton pulled Apollo out from under the bush and Annie had been buckled in the stroller.

We got going again on flat ground and the same thing happens again!! The stroller all of the sudden took a sharp turn to the left and tipped over on the asphalt this time. Annie added a good bump to the head. The wheel lock had been adjusted to the far left so when we got going fast enough, it went to that position. We took it off the lock and thankfully made it home without a third flip. I bet the kids are looking forward to their stroller ride tomorrow morning.
















Ecclesiastes chp. 3 ...a time to break down, and a time to build up. A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn. A time to lose; and a time to keep. I do have two beautiful children and a very happy life but we were excited about the new addition to our family and had sacrificed a lot to bring it here. This loss has been hard to go through and it has been a crushing few days for me. In the morning, I feel like a truck has run over me and it's hard to get going. At times I have been overwhelmed by sadness and I am thankful for the hours that I have had to grieve, for friends that have watched the kids, for Carleton's flexible boss, and for conversations with family and friends. It was especially hard the morning after finding out and then Carleton leaving for work. I dropped the kids off and could barely make it home. I called Mom because I could think of no other way to get control of myself. She was probably worried about me. My mom is very understanding and Dad called back with some good advice.

Even though this has been an excruciating week, it has also been a week of blessings. At my church, I am the music leader for primary and nursery. I was overcome with the beautiful faces of my nursery kids as they were singing. I have been so thankful for the kind words of friends and family that have really pulled me through. I am so thankful for Carleton. He just lets me cry on him when I need to at random times and always says just the right thing.

8 comments:

Jody said...

Oh Robyn, I am so sorry! My heart aches for you and I wish I could be there to help in some way. You are such a strong, amazing woman, and my dear friend. You always inspire me to be a better person. Hang in there!

Side note: Those are quite the battle wounds your kids have..tough little kiddos! I always love how active you are as a family.I think it's great that they picked themselves up and tried it again, even if it resulted in another crash.

Ali said...

Whoa- it looks like they got caught in some rose bushes:) Although they are scratched, they look SUPER happy!

Tukuafu's said...

Your poor babies! Sounds scary! Glad they are perfect and everything is ok.. I hope you are doing ok.. Loss of a little one is not something you'll ever get over.. and it's ok! Love you guys!

Lisa said...

Wow, you guys have had quite a week! Makes you grateful that everyone is ok! I know this might not help at this time, but my mom always reminded me that we won't be given what we can't handle. Others would tell me that the strong in spirit are given the most challenges. I don't get it but it kinda makes sense....we love you. Keep your chin up, things will get better :)

Josh and Heidi Balling said...

Oh my! Good times, it reminds me of when my stroller tipped over in a flood pond with Gracy strapped in. Poor little kids, Annie's dirty little face is priceless. Love you Rob! You have a great family and we all love all of you dearly! xoxo

Kami said...

Robyn, my thoughts and prayers are with you! Love you so much. Know that I am thinking of you. If you ever want to talk don't hesitate to call.

Tara said...

Oh Robyn, I was out of town visiting Jer's family and hadn't caught up with your blog. I am so sorry. You will be in my prayers and thoughts. You have such an upbeat attitude and are right about the beautiful blessings you have. I love you!

Michelle C said...

I'm so sorry you lost the baby. What a sad time for you, but I see you're as strong and faithful as you are with everything else. Scary time with the stroller. I've told BRian before I'm glad Carleton is a little further away so he doesn't get roped into all the crazy stuff he does. He's so adventurous! :) Of course this one wasn't his fault, but that thought did cross my mind again. :)